It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My ISP black listed in UCEPROTECTL3 [RESOLVED]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:17 pm 

Certain pool of My ISP's IPs are listed in UCEPROTECTL3. In this my ips also included. As of my knowledge my server side every thing fine. how can I delist my IPs.

More over my mails are going as spam to hotmail, gmail and yahoo. kindly help me.

my domain is : ntcgroup.in

Thank you.
--
By
S.Senthil kumar
Chennai, India.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My ISP black listed in UCEPROTECTL3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:09 am 

Hello Kumar,

We are sorry to hear that you are having delivery trouble caused by a blacklist. MxToolBox does not actually run a blacklist or have any affiliation with blacklist providers. You can contact many blacklist operators directly by following the link provided in the "details" section of our blacklist report, or via the blacklist name.

However, given the nature of the blacklists that you are appearing, you will not be able to delist your IP address as long as it in this block of IP Addresses... This is a problem with your ISP, and can only be resolved by working with them to unblock or to move your domain to a different server, or reassign a new block of IP Addresses...

Beyond that, MXToolBox can only provide you an actual hosting solution. However, we do have certain limitation and restrictions for non-US & Canadian-based organizations. If you would like to further discuss the problems and options that we can offer, please don't hesitate to call us - we are located in Austin, TX in the United States. Best of luck to you!

Toll-Free: 866-698-6652, ext.116

chad@mxtoolbox.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:10 pm 

I think it is of serious concern that an ostensible whitelist is charging for removal of IP's when surrounding IP's have been accused of spamming.

I found that one of our IP's was blocked by the German RBL UCEPROTECT, on further checking it showed the specific IP of our mail had not been guilty of any malfeasance though some 'around' it had. To then have a demand for 40 Euro's to remove the block is extortion.

I admit to being mad as hell about this. We work very hard to ensure spam is negated here. All mails are checked by multiple anti spam systems and any infringement is cause for immediate suspension. To have someone then tell me we are blacklist because someone with an IP near us has allegedly fallen foul and WE are required to pay for removal is beyond belief.

To me this looks like a spammer hitting on a new way to make money. I'm most surprised that MXTools don't add a warning about inclusion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm 

I understand that issues like these can get many people very upset and it does seem like an unfair policy. Certainly any time a list requests a payment for de-listing, it is a cause for concern.

It might not completely resolve your frustration, but I hope that a little bit of explanation can at least help you understand the possible motives of the list operators.

The most important thing to realize is that lists which block subnets instead of individual IP addresses should not be used as a sole means of judgement on whether or not to deliver a message or not. At most these types of lists should be used to help weigh a message for being filed under spam or junk. To bounce or blackhole for being in the same subnet as a malicious IP will almost guarantee false positives which should be a top priority of a email administrator to avoid.

The other thing to remember is just because you don't own the IP doesn't mean there isn't anything you can do about it. You can contact your ISP who is providing you the IP and tell them that they need to work on resolving this problem or reassign you an IP that is in a clean block. If you are unsure who owns the block you are in you can use our ARIN Lookup tool. Here is an example of the ARIN Lookup on one of our outbound IP Addresses. You can see here who controls the entire block and it is their responsibility to stop malicious activity on their network. The operator of a blacklist that blocks entire networks like this is hoping that by being listed, you might help the Internet community by contacting the owner of the network as a paying customer and let them know what is going on.

Of course the Internet is an open environment and anybody can put together and open a blacklist. They can list on it whomever they wish for any reason they might have, including some motivations which are not so altruistic. The balance that is built into the blacklist system is preserved by the fact that scammers are not going to be able to get their list used by system administrators and therefor will not impact mail flow. If you are on a blacklist that nobody uses, it doesn't cause an impact on your email.

If you are getting your mail bounced and getting told that you have to pay to get de-listed, you can inform the administrator of the recipient domain of the behavior and they might reconsider using this list to block mail.

The other thing you can do is let your voice be heard in forums like ours. We do not take any public stance on ANY blacklist and the inclusion of a list in our tool is NOT a recommendation or a statement of validity. We want to inform our users of any list that they might be on so they can make the most informed decision on actions that might need to be taken. However please feel free to post your experiences here in hopes of educating and informing your fellow netizens.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your problems resolved. As always I like to make sure that our visitors are aware that in addition to our free tools we also provide paid Products which can alleviate both your outbound delivery issues as well as provide inbound spam and virus protection and email continuity for emergency situations as well as hosted mail.

Sincerely

peter@mxtoolbox.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 pm 

I appreciate you are the messenger in this case and if my post came across as harsh towards MXToolbox, I apologise, I was a little ticked at the time.

I've been in touch with my ISP and they are taking an active stance... allegedly.

I'm also looking to join the class action suit against this organisation. I have friends in Germany so will check to see exactly who they are.

The anonymity articles they post are a complete fabrication.

As you say, any RBL that demands payment for remoal from a blacklist is highly suspicious. I do find it interesting they are only just now coming to the fore. We run checks for our own servers daily across many reputed RBL's, it was pure chance that bought this one to my attention.

I'll be posting later on the spamassassin lists to see if anyone there has had experience of them.... I suspect there may be a few.

Anyway, thanks for your answer and please bear in mind I don't hold ang grievance with MXTools. As I stated earlier, you may want to add some info about the demand for money to remove entries. Feel free to check it with my main mail IP (81.149.106.11).

Nigel

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My ISP black listed in UCEPROTECTL3 [RESOLVED]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 pm 

In the past I have had no problems getting an new clean IP from the ISP, but I have a new ISP that claims it is our responsibility to clean all the blacklistings.

However, they did assign a new IP an it has the same blasklistings as the previous IP! I checked their IP block and it appears their entire /16 have been blacklisted by the same sources.

Can anyone tell me if their is some kind of business rule or code that requires ISPs to issue clean IPs to clients?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My ISP black listed in UCEPROTECTL3 [RESOLVED]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:44 am 

Hello

I doubt any serious email system uses that UCEPROTECT crap. I was in the very same situation as you, after taking a fixed IP from one of our ISP to install a backup mail server (acutron.eu). The block was listed in SORBS as well. After installing a proper DNS server with backups, point a domain to it, installing a PTR record both at the primary DNS server and at the ISP (mandatory), we could delist ourselves from SORBS.

I advise you to create an account on AOL and try to send an email there after you clean up your IP. If you succeed (AOL is picky to the extreme in what spam is concerned), you won't get into trouble and you may forget about that money-making UCEPROTECT one-man-show operation.

I hope this helps.

Antonio

Offline Profile