It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: smtp550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited [RESOLVED]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:43 am 

Can anyone help me with this error?

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: xxx@xxx.com
Reason: SMTP data accept failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited.
Remote system: dns;smtp.secureserver.net (TCP|167.206.4.200|63883|72.167.238.201|25) (p3pismtp01-024.prod.phx3.secureserver.net ESMTP)

Thanks
Katia

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: smtp;550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 am 

Katia,

Thanks for opening another thread, I went ahead and answered your question in the other thread, but I will go ahead and re-post it here as well.

You can do a PTR check on our website using our free tools. However the bounce back you indicated has language that indicates that it may actually be an SPF problem? For more information on SPF records, we would recommend the Open SPF Website as they explain what an SPF record is and how to verify if your SPF record is correct.

Thank you,
Wendy

Follow us on Twitter at @MxToolBox, Facebook and read the MxToolBox Blog.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: smtp;550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:25 pm 

Thanks Wendy !

[quote="wendy@mxtoolbox.com"]Katia,

Thanks for opening another thread, I went ahead and answered your question in the other thread, but I will go ahead and re-post it here as well.

You can do a [url=http://mxtoolbox.com/ReverseLookup.aspx]PTR check[/url] on our website using our free tools. However the bounce back you indicated has language that indicates that it may actually be an SPF problem? For more information on SPF records, we would recommend the [url=http://www.openspf.org/]Open SPF Website[/url] as they explain what an SPF record is and how to verify if your SPF record is correct.

Thank you,
Wendy[/quote]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: smtp550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited [RESOLVED]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm 

I'm having this same issue, and I've spent well over a month and probably at-least 50+ hours on the phone trying to resolve it. My situation is a bit unique though, so let me explain...

First of all, the issue ONLY occurs when the message is sent FROM a BlackBerry device TO a specific domain. The same messages can be sent from Outlook, web mail, or any other client with no problems.

Second, the specific domain we are sending to is not actually owned by us - it is owned by the corporation by which we are franchised - so we don't have full access to the 'email control panel' for these accounts to fully troubleshoot. However, the issue appears to be on the receiving end of this - as I will explain further...

Third, the domain we are sending to is not the final destination for the messages. I will not go into the specifics of why, but in this case it is necessary for us to setup each individual mailbox to forward the messages to another domain which we DO own and have full control over which is hosted by GoDaddy. The corporate office and their email hosting company have both stated that it is not possible to create 'true forwarding accounts' - so we have to set each one up as an actual mailbox, then log-in to each one and setup a filter to forward all incoming mail to the appropriate address @ OUR domain.

Fourth, if we send an email directly from the BlackBerry device to OUR domain, it works. If we send an email directly from the corporate domains email boxes to our domain via webmail it works. But when sent FROM the BlackBerry TO the corporate domain, we get the following error which is coming from the corporate domains mail server - but is referring to a response from the REMOTE HOST which would be OUR domains mail server (I've modified the details to hide our details):

==========================
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.corporatedomain.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<name@corporatedomain.com>:
1.2.3.4 (OUR domain's mail server IP) failed on DATA command.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited.
===========================

After speaking with OUR email host, they seem to think the issue has to do with some header fields that are added/modified by BlackBerry when sent using their BIS service. However, these headers do-not affect messages sent directly from the BlackBerry devices to OUR email domain - only messages that go to the corporate domain and are then forwarded. This suggests it has to do with the fact that the header information shows that the message is coming from the BlackBerry servers, when it is actually coming from the corporate domains mail servers because they are forwarding the message.

BlackBerry technical support has suggested modifying the SPF records as described in the following KB article on their site, and I have used the OpenSPF.org website to generate a record - but it has not resolved the issue. Here is the BlackBerry KB article: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13874

I admit that I am no mail expert, and I have never dealt with SPF records before - so I am not positive that I am setting it up properly, but the OpenSPF.org website makes it pretty straight forward - so I'm fairly confident it is setup right.

Furthermore, I have found several other threads on other forums complaining about this specific issue and 90% of them were also using the same email hosting company that we are - GODADDY - so this is most likely an issue on their end, but I am not having any luck with their tech support who basically has me chasing my tail.

ANY suggestions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks in advance!
][Q][

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:28 pm 

Thanks for the details description! Would you mind providing your domain so I can do a few tests?

Thanks,
Wendy

Follow us on Twitter at @MxToolBox, Facebook and read the MxToolBox Blog.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:34 pm 

OUR domain: wrfitness.com
CORPORATE domain: goldsgym.net

thanks for your help!!!
][Q][

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:59 pm 

Did you have a chance to review our domains yet? We are very anxious to get this issue resolved and appreciate any advice or suggestions you can offer...

Thanks!
][Q][

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm 

We would love to further assist you and discuss the situation... If you have spent this much time already with no resolution to the problems, something needs to change. Given the details of your situation and the complexity of mail-flow including the BlackBerry devices and the use of SPF Records, there is much more at play than what we can simply recommend via the blog. It appears that you don't have enough control over the mail-flow to prevent these problems and the SPF records are very complex...

Additionally, we don't provide basic technical support for an existing email system -- We are a managed email services provider and have multiple hosting solutions for companies looking to change, as well as security/continuity for existing mail-servers. If you would like to schedule a time to discuss what MxToolBox can do to assist, I would be happy to tell you more about our offerings and possibly get an Engineer on the phone if appropriate...

Please provide us with your contact information so that we may email or call you - or simply contact us at your convenience... We hope to hear from you soon! Thanks...

Toll-Free: 866-698-6652, ext.116

chad@mxtoolbox.com

Offline Profile